Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Our Special People

One of the highlights of my week is my coffee meeting with my buddies from the group home down the street. I never intended to begin this Sunday morning ritual. It just naturally developed after a minor accident with a coffee pot before Sunday School a few years ago. It was obvious that someone needed to step in to help them, and I was the guy on the scene. Our coffee meeting has evolved into a unique time that encapsulates the essence of what church is supposed to be.

On Sunday mornings, I like to arrive at least two hours before anything starts. After an hour or so of peaceful time alone, I make a pot (or two) of coffee and get ready to host my buddies. Usually the coffee is ready and everything is in place when I hear them coming down the hall. Then comes the knock at the door. As soon as that door opens a quiet pastor's study is transformed into a serious social gathering. Our meetings have changed over the last few years. These days, they sit in some chairs at one end of the room while I prepare their coffee for them. While I take orders from each one, sometimes everyone talks at once. All of my friends want to tell me about their week, and most of them want to do it at the same time. Our gatherings may sound a little chaotic, but they are special times.

We have had all kinds of conversations as we sit around and they sip their coffee. We have talked through all  sorts of issues, sometimes in a group and sometimes one on one. One of them always wants to talk about her clothes and accessories, and I had better notice anything that is new! One of the guys likes to give me advice about my truck. He has told me all about checking the oil, how to replace a thermostat, and how brakes work. They talk about their daily lives, their families, and everything else under the sun. On some Sundays, the most genuine and open conversations that I have will be with my friends from the group home.

Our special people have really surprised me a few times. Once, one of them was joking around with me, and said that he was going to "woop" me. I laughed, but then he started "wooping" me! No harm was intended, and no harm was done, but being "wooped" was a real surprise. Some of the biggest surprises have come when they have noticed little details about me. They tend to notice things that no one else does. They may be special, but they can see right through a person.

I cannot express how some conversations with them have moved me. Sometimes, they want to talk about very serious issues as they deal with grief over lost loved ones, health problems, or other important issues in their lives. We have had many conversations about spiritual matters, and Bible reading is discussed often. The people who operate the group home are compassionate, and I know that they and the workers provide a listening ear for the residents. Still, everyone needs an outlet, and special people often feel the need for an advocate. Sunday morning at church ought to be the perfect place to find one. Besides, I get to have conversations like those with "normal" people all the time. Why should our special people be any different?

To many in society, these people are worthless, or worse. Some would see them as a real burden. A purely evolutionary view of life would mean that they should be discarded. Anyone who knows them knows better. They are precious people. They may have challenges, but they truly are special. We believe that all human life is special because God created people and he created us in his image. The special people in our lives give us an opportunity to put that belief into practice.