Monday, August 5, 2013

The Conviction to Lead, by Al Mohler

Summer vacation is finished for our family. Now, we shift gears, change back to school day routines, and move forward. During transitional times I like to look back, evaluate, and reflect. Anyone can move ahead more effectively if they remember where they have been. My summer reading is completed, and (after I read and reflect on a couple of more books) now is the time to plan for the fall. As I look back at the summer, one of the books that stands out in my mind is a leadership book by Albert Mohler, The Conviction to Lead: 25 Principles for Leadership That Matters. 

The book has an audacious goal. It begins, "Let me warn you right up front -- my goal is to change the way you think about leadership. I do not merely aim to add one more voice to the conversation; I want to fundamentally change the way leadership is understood and practiced." When I first read those words, I had to pause. I have read literally dozens of leadership books. I have invested serious time with many of those beyond a first reading. Those books have helped me to evaluate myself and understand the world around me. Could such a small volume accomplish such a monumental task?

The book is well-written. Often conversational in tone, the author is conversant with a wide variety of literature without the heavier feeling of an academic volume. Many of the references in the book have aroused curiosity that will guide some of my future reading. Principles are well-illustrated, including personal stories from the author's life. The outline of the book is clear, logical, and comprehensive.

So, did Mohler achieve his goal in this book? He did. Often, pivotal thinkers are not the ones who innovate. Pivotal thinkers often are the people who remind us of the basics and apply them in our context. The basic idea of the book is that leadership should grow out of convictions. The idea seems so simple, but great ideas always do. Other books exist about leading out of Christian character, but this book goes beyond them. Like so many others, this book is practical, but it is not merely pragmatic. The logical progression of the basic premise of convictional leadership makes this book unique. The author actually did reframe the conversation.

Reading this book prompted me to take stock personally. Yes, I believe many things. Which beliefs have matured to become real convictions? To what extent does my leadership grow out of those convictions? Learning to lead is a lifetime pilgrimage, and this book has helped me along the path. I recommend it for anyone who leads anything. Teachers, volunteer coaches, anyone will benefit from interacting with this book.